Considered to be the number one urban team sport in the world, 3x3 basketball is increasingly becoming a key motor for the development of basketball. One of the biggest strengths of 3x3 is its simplicity both in terms of rules and in terms of required facilities, allowing it to be held in the most spectacular settings, using iconic landmarks as backdrops.
Why run an event?
- Allows players more time on the ball to have fun, develop skills and is played at a high pace (12 sec shot clock) – all points that allow skill development at a faster rate than 5v5
- Can be played outside and inside – all that’s needed is a half court and a ball
- Can be played at every age group from U8 - seniors
- It is a great teaching tool for basic 5v5 movements and skills. Often times within 5v5, the main offensive operation is performed by only 3 players (e.g. a pick and roll with the 3 players on the ball/strong side or a pass and screen away are some of the most common movements in basketball)
- With official FIBA sanctioned events (free and every club can do this), every player gets ranking points
- Pathway to high level international competition
Why 3x3 is important within Covid-19 restrictions
- Lower numbers of players in close contact to each other (max of 6 players in a half court setting instead of 10 with 5v5) – but can use both half courts so more players playing (12 players – 6 players x 2 half courts) but in a safer manner
- More space with just 6 players in a half court – less face to face time therefore decreasing the amount of time spent closer than 2 metres*
- Close contact time is below government guidelines* with ten min games (*15 minutes face-to-face contact within 2 metres of an infected person)
Beyond ensuring a sustained growth in the number of basketball players, FIBA has created a worldwide sports community through a network of hundreds of organisers, thousands of tournaments and millions of players. The online community here interconnects all of these thanks to the latest digital technology.
Players accumulate points in every event that they play. The more ballers play, the better their chances are of improving their ranking.
A global network of open tournaments, from grassroots to the FIBA 3x3 World Tour, and National Team FIBA 3x3 World Championships are at the forefront of the development of 3x3 basketball, with the discipline having gained Olympic status.
See below documents that will assist you in relation to #BI3x3 activity.