RECAP: 2016 League Cup

RECAP: 2016 League Cup

  • Mar 18,2016
March 20th, 2016

League Cup Final 
KUBS 89, Maree 79

KUBS prevented a clean sweep of Men’s Division One trophies by Maree as they claimed the League Cup with an 89-79 win at the Watershed, Kilkenny. The Dublin side had finished runners’ up in their maiden Division One campaign but a solid weekend at the League Finals game them their first trophy.

Maree had six players on the score sheet in the opening quarter but KUBS had their eye in from the perimeter and Conor James, Kevin Foley, Jonathan Riles and Sean Ingle all registered three-pointers to go 28-13 clear. 

The Galway side rallied with an 11-0 run either side of the first break. The KUBS offence had hit a glitch and it took a strong drive from Eoin Chubb to get them going in again. They led 44-41 at the half with free-throws pushing them clear after Maree equalised through Eoin Rockall’s 62.5% accuracy and Kenneth Hansberry’s first half double-double. 

Both sides led by six or more in an undulating third quarter. Cathal Finn stepped up completing his double-double as Maree enjoyed their biggest lead the of the game but KUBS were 66-61 to the good by the end of the period. Eoin Chubb was the game-changer with eight points in a row and an MVP performance that included seven assists. 

Conor James’ sixth triple of the afternoon came just when Maree threatened to draw level for the fifth time. The shooting guard finished with a game high 28 points while Player Coach Kevin Foley helped make sure of the win in taking his tally to 21 down the stretch. 

KUBS: Eoin Chubb 19, Sean Ingle 3, Jonathan Riles 13, Conor James 28, Kevin Foley 21. Substitutes: Brian Edwards, Shane Egan, Ross McCann, Gary Barron 5, Andy Flood, Tom Kenny, Michael Curley.

Maree: Charlie Crowley 4, Eoin Rockall 12, Cathal Finn 21, Padraig Burke 9, Kenneth Hansberry 19. Substitutes: Stephen Commins 12, Colm O’Hagan, Ciaran Blaney 2

HT: Maree 41, KUBS 44
MVP: Eoin Chubb (KUBS)


League Cup Semi-Final

KUBS 91, Team Kilkenny 86

Team Kilkenny bowed out of the League Cup at the semi-final stage after a 91-86 defeat to Dublin Side KUBS at the Watershed. 

Puff Summer’s side had the hot start they wanted in front of their home fans but were ultimately outgunned in a high scoring affair. 

“When it looked at it on paper, it looked like we were going to be able to dominate them inside,” said Team Kilkenny’s Player Coach, “but they spread us out, got to the rim and hit shots all night.” 

Julian O’Keeffe drained the first shot of the game from outside the three-point line and Lukasz Szulc followed up inside the first minute as they lead 26-25 for the first quarter. Jack Kelly was shooting at 100% in two-point range for 13 points in ten minutes. 

KUBS were impressive at the perimeter with Conor James and Jonathan riles making the early threes. Both sides broke the 20 point mark in the second quarter with Team Kilkenny leading 49-45 at the half. Puff Summers took out two players on the dribble before a dish to Brian Hogan for basket of the game.  

The Dubliners had kept in touch from the free-throw line in the second quarter but 29 points in the third put them in control. They took the lead with a 9-0 run and punished some avoidable turnovers to go eight points clear. It was an 11 point quarter for KUBS Player Coach Kevin Foley.  

Team Kilkenny looked down and out when James Butler had to be helped off court after a heavy fall and Conor James connected with a three-pointer to put 10 points between the sides five minutes left. 

There was still time to make things interesting down the stretch. Five players finished with double-digit scoring and Julian O’Keeffe helped fashion a 6-0 run to reduce the gap to four-points. Team Kilkenny were in foul trouble and it allowed Kevin Foley to take the game high 25 points for KUBS.

Summers was disappointed to lose on his home court for the first time this season, but ultimately drew satisfaction from his first campaign as Player Coach. “We’re trying to let people know that Kilkenny basketball exists,” he said. “We went 6-3 after Christmas and I think the guys really bought the style of play. Everyone was a threat and had a place out here.

Team Kilkenny: Julian O’Keeffe 19, Puff Summers 15, Lukasz Szulc 8, James Butler 12, Paul Leigh. Substitutes: Brian Hogan 5, Jack Kelly 17, Kevin Donohoe 10,  Dusan Rabat, Andy Piper, Joe Malone. 

KUBS: Eoin Chubb 12, Conor James 17, Sean Ingle 5, Jonathan Riles 22, Kevin Foley 25. Substitutes: Gary Baron 3, Andy Flood 2, Tom Kenny. 

HT: Team Kilkenny 49, KUBS 45

FT in League Cup Semi-Final: KUBS 91-86 Team Kilkenny. Highlights below and recap at

Posted by Basketball Ireland on Friday, 18 March 2016
March 19th, 2016 League Cup Semi-Final 
Maree 80, Keane’s SuperValu Killorglin 76 

Keane’s SuperValu Killorglin were edged out of the League Cup at the semi-final stage, losing out to double champions Maree at the Watershed in Kilkenny. Maree now go on to fight for an unprecedented treble in the League Cup final against KUBS, but the season has come to a close for the Kerry side. 

Killorglin had a clear advantage on the boards early on through Saulis Marcinkevicius and an 11-0 run with Andrew Fitzgerald scoring well put them 10 points clear. Three pointers from Stephen Commins helped Maree’s cause but the Kerry side led 19-12 for the first quarter. 

Maree drew close early in the second as Kenneth Hansberry and Padraig Burke started scoring but Keane’s SuperValu Killorglin were title challengers for a good chunk of the Division One season and keen to prove against the eventual champions that they were worthy of silverware.

Marcinkevicius had a seven point quarter while player-coach Declan wall improved his three-point accuracy for Killorglin to head in 38-28 to the good at the break. 

After a first half which yielded just four three-pointers from 20 attempts for the Galway side, Cathal Finn connected with back to back triples early in the third. There was more steel to Maree in the third, typified by some determined by Charlie Crowley as they took back the lead at 52-51 with ten minutes to play. 

There was nothing between the sides in the final quarter with the sides level at 69-69 with 2:30 to go. Dan Griffin and Dan Jones were delivering for Killorglin but Stephen Commins was proving unstoppable. After his sixth three-pointer, Declan Wall had little choice but to foul him on the next attempt, cough up three free-throws and foul out in the process. 

Kevin Gray went in search of a big three-pointer to draw the sides level but missed with three difficult attempts ensuring safe passage for Maree. 

Maree: Charlie Crowley 9, Eoin Rockall 13, Cathal Finn 11, Kenneth Hansberry 14, Padraig Burke 9. Substitutes: Stephen Commins 24 

Keane’s SuperValu Killorglin: Dan Griffin 12, Ian McLoughlin 9, Andrew Fitzgerald 10, Kevin Gray 14, Daragh Jones 6 Substitutes: John Tyther, Saulis Marcinkevicius 13, Declan Wall 12, Seamus Brosnan. 

HT: Maree 28, Keane’s SuperValu Killorgan 38
Official Partners